1. Coral reefs are composed of D) limestone.
2. Water covers C) more than half the earth’s surface.
3. An aquifer is B) an underground stream.
4. Insolation is C) incoming solar radiation.
5. A wind in the Southern Hemisphere begins to blow toward the north. Because of the Coriolis effect the wind is deflected C) toward the west.
6. The most abundant ions in sea water are A) Na+ and Cl-.
7. A mineral never found in igneous rocks is A) quartz.
8. A mineral that does not contain silicon is B) calcite.
9. Most mechanical weathering is the result of A) the freezing of water in crevices in rock.
10. When a warm, moist air mass moves upward, it cools because D) it comes in contact with clouds.
11. Of the following gases, the most abundant in the atmosphere is B) nitrogen.
12. A moraine is a pile of rock debris left by a C) glacier.
13. The process by which air heated by contact with a warm part of the earth’s surface rises upward is called C) convection.
14. Which one or more of the following statements apply to earthquake S waves?
B) They are transverse vibrations like waves in a taut string.
15. Magma is A) molten rock underground.
16. Ice ages B) have occurred often in the past.
17. Rain is not usually associated with A) a warm front.
18. The clay minerals occur in the form of D) soft, tiny crystals.
19. The ozone in the stratosphere C) absorbs solar ultraviolet radiation.
20. Of the following, the gas that contributes most to global warming is C) carbon dioxide.